Sep 19, 2007

Fwd: 1982 CB650 parts

I have been posting the miscellany stock parts for free (but listed my favorite beer) and look what came out of CL...

Who the heck writes big nice emails other than someone who is interested in the same two wheeled machine as you. I've read shorter and less interesting Christmas letters.

Motorcycles and craigslist classifieds are probably the two most powerful conventions for connecting our modern society.

Begin forwarded message:
Subject: 1982 CB650 Cafe projects

Hi Eliot,

Your craigslist posts are interesting, because I'm in Garden Home and am building a cafe racer from my '76 CB550, into which I have transplanted a CB650 engine with a Jardine pipe, but otherwise stock. I've installed Raask rearsets, CB650 forks, aftermarket shocks, and changed a lot of other stuff. My aim is to build a retro bike that looks like I think it ought to, with dependability. I'm a single dad and am not interested in keeping up with new bikes, nor even with going very fast, just want to have a bike that feels right, makes the right sounds, and gives me enjoyment while being responsive enough to dodge our current generation of irresponsible drivers. (I suspect that's why you, too are converting to two-caliper front brakes.) I haven't polished anything on it, just concentrated on getting the right parts in place. Shine can come when it's running.

It appears that we are working in parallel. Few of my friends are bike-oriented, and I don't know where to look for things locally. My bike could probably be done in fairly short order if I put my mind to it, and I'd welcome

Incidentally, I have a second '76 CB550 that was converted to a full-out road racer. When the first bike is streetable, I hope to make a 'real' cafe racer out of it, possibly with my other CB650 engine in place of the highly-tuned CB550 which has every possible thing done to it. That bike has a Ducati tank, braced frame, laid-down shocks, twin disk front end, Kerker exhaust, Mikunis, the whole shebang. It was built by "Dr. Les Barker" who has apparently been a top local bike builder for many years.

There may be ways we can help each other, and possibly one day ride these suckers somewhere! If you're interested, please let me know. I'd like to hear from someone involved in a project like mine.

Best,
Joe Cxxxxxx
503-XXX-XXXX

No comments: