May 28, 2008

ALICE Pack as the perfect Wader Bag


Spend money where you need to. Don't skimp on wading boots, but they don't have to cost 400 bucks either. I found the Weinbrenner boot in widths (I wear EEE) and they have lasted me years. I even ran over them with both left tires on my way out of camp once and they still look unscathed through the last 5 years of use. I could see them going another 20 with me.
And if I had 700 dollars I would definitely buy the Simms waders that unzip in the front for "taking care of business" without disrobing.

But I would still stuff all of this into my GI issue ALICE pack that I got from a military surplus store for next to nothing. Hands down the best wader bag ever made. The ballistic nylon is tough as nails and dries out easily once I get home. It has tons of pockets for the last minute stuff that I throw in on my way out of my garage.

... But take my advice with a grain of salt because I also choose to drink tap water even though I have driven by my local treatment pond and have seen the holding tank in "Mississippi mud" form one day and Caribbean blue a few days later. I think the water from my faucet tastes good and the extra flouride allows me to skip brushing once in a while.

Check out ALICE Paks here if you dare take advice from a guy like me:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_alice.php

No comments: