Jan 27, 2009

An old foreign coin collection

Most of these coins are from countries where governments represented on them are no longer in power. My Dad gave them to me with a bunch of old trinkets that his grandpa, Ernest Ray Sprague, gave to him. I think the coins are mostly things my dad picked up in his tour of the South Pacific in the 70's with the Enterprise.

Avery is charged by her second grade teacher to come in with foreign money. We are going to throw a curve ball into her geography lesson and mix in some social studies and poli-sci in history.

They'll probably just notice the different colors of metal. I'm charged with taking a quick inventory to make sure nothing is worth a few G's per chance... to spice up her collection of Aussie coin and decade old money that was just prior to the EU. I would hate for that kinda thing to end up under the tire swing via some Gap Kids Overalls.

1. Research proper cleaning technique: Cleaning coins is hotly debated among collectors and could negatively affect their value. I am going to identify coins first.

A few coins:
1972 Hong Kong Dollar with Queen Elizabeth on the back. Been around for more than One-hundred years. No problem letting this one go with her.

1961, 1972, 1974, 1976 Peso. Again have at it.

the rest:
Ecuador
Netherlands
Peru 20 Centavos ... which is worth about 10 bucks probably or $35 at an online "police auction"
Argentina
and two odd ones that have the Mandarin symbol for dollar but no date or country.

... I'm not too worried where any of them end up.

No comments: