Mar 17, 2008

The Final Stages of Clear Coat


I have about 6 small rattle cans of clear on the motorcycle tank now. I put them on pretty much continously for the first two cans. Then I let them dry and because I let them dry I had to sand the clear and rough them up to really bond to the next layers a few days later. I hear it is better to just continue clear coat application very lightly every 5 minutes or so allowing all of the coatings to dry together to make on thick luscious skin.

Oh well, I used 3M rubbing compound about 20 hours after the final sprayings of clear. Shown above is the side cover with the proper amount of rubbing compound lightly hazed on the left. After a gentle but firm circular wiping with a clean cloth diaper it turns into the side cover that is sparkling on the right.

The picture here below shows untouched clear coat on the left, polished clear in the center and hazed rubbing compound on the right side. I don't know why I took the picture other than i am trying to be as thorough as possible.

Imagine that the light coating of rubbing compound being applied is actually very fine sand paper and not a liquid (...it actually is a liquid). It doesn't take much at all. As you gently "wipe" in circular swirls continue moving to a new 2" sq area of the cloth that is clean, otherwise you are rubbing small particles of clear coat back into your piece.

It is now ready for high RPM buffing with an even finer polish "step 2" in the 3M system at your local automotive source.

No comments: