Jun 11, 2008

Tornado outside Kearney, NE May 29, 2008


Here is a picture probably taken by a friend of one of my relatives 8 times removed or so that live in NE. I got it as a forward from my mom. There are more pictures of this storm at Nebraska Weather Photos.org but I couldn't find this photo (or one better) in their collection.

I was chased by one of these when I was about 8 or 9 while riding with my Aunt Julie in her little dark green bug down I-80 to Lake McConaughy. I remember the scene being pretty much like that picture. Well it was whiter, but I remember the panic in my aunt as we watched the funnel cloud forming in front of us and off to the North (my side of the car... I had a great view). Julie was leaned way over her steering wheel as we went "under it". Good thing there was a tornado to help with the air-cooled engine at full RPM to get by it before it touched down. That bug was all over the road. Julie is leaned way forward on her steering wheel like I said, and I thought she was doing it to watch the thing. We are both freaking out and I said something like "Just drive, I'll watch it- lean back and drive!" She snapped back with something to let me know that hugging the steering wheel with her entire body was the only way to keep the rig on concrete.

Oh. Duh.

I think I felt like a heel for a split second in between trying not to mess my shorts.

No comments: