Dec 13, 2007

The Golden Compass hype

So I went and saw the film last night. I was the only one in the Sherwood Regal for the 10:30 showing so that alone made the ticket price worth it. I laughed out loud at the Semi-Pro
preview.

Anyway, I thought it was a good story but it needed more detail to bring me up to speed on the kind of world that surrounds the plot. Having never read the books I still really enjoyed the story. But because of all the hype, I was looking for the anti-religion message and I found the pieces that could make it up when I really extrapolate the plot out.

I think if the hype wasn't made no one would have noticed. heck, my well read buddy didn't know the Narnia symbolism until I mentioned it after the movie, and he had read the books.

Maybe the hammer will really be brought down on the "stupidity of people with faith" in the following installments. I hear Book 3 is the Big Crusher for that. But really i am looking forward to seeing the Golden Compass again and pick up on the pieces I missed.

Let me know who wants to go...

1 comment:

Brent said...

Funny... we just picked up the Wii... nice timing on the post.

Not sure I will take it this far but playing tennis with my head could entertain the kids for hours.

Consider yourself formerly challenged to a Wii tournament.

bmag