Oct 23, 2005

Fishing Guide for Ambergris Caye

I just got back from a pretty uneventful fly-fishing excursion to Belize. Blame it on Hurricane Wilma. On the last day of our trip I decided to at least blind cast from our dock in the stirred-up, murky wake of the storm.
The natives thought I was insane and they kept coming up the dock to see what the heck I was thinking. I managed to hook only two but then a local Dive Master, Rocky, came out to the dock in the 40mph+ winds and asked me if I wanted to go out in a boat and catch some fish.





I figured I would go along... at this point in the week I was up for anything- even spin fishing. Rocky called his
two buddies, Mario Ack (who owned the boat) and his brother Alex Ack.


They were great guys, we caught over 20 fish in a bit over an hour and headed back.



Then they filleted them out quickly and proceeded to make dinner for all of us at our condo.

It was the best meal we had all week and it was sad that we met them on the last day of our trip. To this day it is the only fish my wife ever enjoyed eating which probably had something to do with the fact that the fish were flopping around about 15 minutes before they were cooked. We had dinner for seven of us (including the "guides") for less than we had been paying all week, not to mention the boat ride and the fish I enjoyed reeling in as part of the package. I can't recommend these guys enough. I told Mario I would throw his cell number out on the internet so that someone else might look him up someday.

No comments: